Shade Tree Sites |Building Better Websites
Note: You must already have WordPress installed on your site in order to upgrade to the new version – otherwise you would be installing which is a different process.
- Sign in to your admin dashboard at the top in red you will see an upgrade prompt.
- Click upgrade. You will be advised to backup your files and database – this is a precaution just in case something goes wrong during the installation.
- Backup your files and database.
- Backing up your site in cpanel – sign into your cpanel
- Find the backup icon and click
- Choose backup home directory – this backs up your files – click save and pick location on your computer to save backup
- Choose backup database – click save and pick location on your computer to save backup – remember where you saved your backups -in case you need to use in the future
- Choose backup filters and forwarders – if you have any and follow the same process – saving to your computer.
- You have successfully backed up your site
- Click automatic upgrade – wordpress will do everything and when finished you will see a message notifying you that wordpress was successfully upgraded.
- After the upgrade you will be forced to sign back into your dashboard – this just refreshes and applies the changes to the admin area.
- That’s it – you now are using version 2.8!
I have used the automatic upgrade to 2.8 on many sites so far without incident – however a directory and database backup is insurance in case anything were to go wrong during the upgrade. Site backups should be done regularly and frequently (depending on site update frequency) as a rule.